A place to reflect, ramble, and rofl at adventures from my study abroad in Nihon...
Honestly, there could be shenanigans.

31.5.10

Little No-Names

While Thursday proved more successful in the netsuke-retrieval area, my subsequent search for more temples and shrines nearby proved less fruitful.
(Between Xander and Figaro, I think I'm developing a thing about losing an eye...Not a fear exactly, but the thought just strikes me a bit more than it used to. Anyways, I was very thankful that my dragon was given a new eye.)

All the new temples and shrines I passed along my way back towards Kitaoji Station, however, were rather small, and some of them I suspect were perhaps associated outposts or detached offices. None had plaques in front of them with English explanations, so I don't have any history to offer here. I also had to confirm with Japanese students here how to read the shrine and temple names in kanji. That said, there still might be some mistakes about what these places are called, but I've done my best.
 
The first I found is called Wakamiya Jinja shrine (one of many in Japan, it would seem...)
 
A sacred pine tree, marked by a shimenawa
 
This beat-up torii belongs to Fuyashiro Imamiya Jinja Tanobinoshirushi
 
It looks like they're doing some construction behind the gates...
 
Walking towards Horikawa-dori
 
From the architecture, and the lotus-window, my guess is
this building is associated with Buddhism in some way
 
Detail of the lotus stained-glass window
 
(Finally walking along Horikawa-dori northwards.)
Beautiful woodwork on a building across from Motoyama Koshoji
 
Motoyama Koshoji temple, perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment