A place to reflect, ramble, and rofl at adventures from my study abroad in Nihon...
Honestly, there could be shenanigans.

21.5.10

Tokyo Redux IV: Kitanomaru-kouen

A note, gentle viewers: Please bear with me while I try to catch up on these posts. I find myself with some free time on my hands, so I'm going to continue to post like a crazy maniac in the next few hours. Seriously, Tokyo was sooo over more than two weeks ago. I'm running around like a "headless chuck" here, as our International Coordinator person Paul would say. (He's from New Zealand, and does hilarious impressions and imitations, especially of monkeys.) But I did read your comments: I'm glad you're enjoying reading this, Lisa, and Kiri, thanks for the information about the gallery!

Kitanomaru-kouen was where I started having problems...of the getting lost variety, that is. The park is right next to the Imperial Palace East Garden, and inside the park are a couple of museums and the Nihon Budokan, the latter of which I was most interested in seeing. Not that I minded wandering around the park for a little bit. I had a small, inside giggle when one of the cheery-faced guards asked me what I was carrying.
And well, I was carrying a long, thin, brown-paper-wrapped package, so I couldn't very well blame him for asking. I told him they were parasols I bought in Asakusa, he checked the shape of the package, smiled, and waved me on. So I walked into the park, and proceeded to get lost.
At least it was pretty.
 
 
The gardens were lush and beautiful, and a couple of sakura were on their last legs of blooming.

Now, losing one's way can be fun and adventurous, but after about an hour and a half of fruitless searching for the in-park access to the Nihon Budokan, at the hottest time of the day, I grew wearing of the constant getting turned-around by confusing maps which simply wouldn't point north.
Fed up, I went back out to the road and started to walk around the edge of the park. I may or may not have walked past the gates leading to the Budokan.
It was hard to tell since the gates and security outside were all formidable and slightly imposing.
So, perhaps it wasn't the Budokan at all. Eventually I ran into some street-side maps of the area and made sure I was walking in the general direction of Yasukuni Jinja.
(On my way out, I saw a policeman carrying a katana...Cool.)
an old watchtower in Kitanomaru-kouen
 
mm, Algae Fountain

No comments:

Post a Comment