A place to reflect, ramble, and rofl at adventures from my study abroad in Nihon...
Honestly, there could be shenanigans.

21.5.10

Tokyo Redux VI: Shibuya

While I wasn't expecting as much time as I would have liked for shopping in Shibuya--I was saving that for Harajuku--in the middle of my search for Hachiko I passed by an accessories shop. Actually, most of the accessories were various types of leg-wear, tights, fishnets, socks, legwarmers...*cough* I might have bought a pair of loose socks, which are pretty much extreme leg-warmers with feet. They aren't really worn anymore, except by people still sporting '90s styles, I think, but I've had a guilty desire for them since I took an interest in Japanese fashion. More importantly, I bought new aviators at said accessory shop, for slightly cheaper than I had in America. My old ones finally broke on me several weeks back--and you wouldn't believe how difficult it is to find a normal pair of aviators in Kyoto or Tokyo. Most of them had painted frames, or were the wrong color, or the the top of the double-bridge had a funky curve to it. 

Ok, so I must have passed this statue about four or five times in our few excursions to Shibuya. I also had completely missed it every single time, probably due to the enormous mass of bodies usually occupying the square outside Shibuya station. (I had to ask a police officer where to find it.) Hachiko was a professor's Akita dog who would come to the station every day and wait for his owner to come home. After the professor died in 1925, the dog still kept coming to the station every day, until he died over a decade later.
 
I think this is the McDonald's we slept at after leaving the club that other night
 
Or it could have been this one...
 
The Disney Store,  a cute little place...slightly unsatisfying if your favorite Disney characters ever don't include Mickey, Minnie, Tinkerbell, Alice, or Chip and Dale.
Japan does love its Disney though.
 
the Tower Records building
 
Pink.
 
some nonsensical English graffiti...
 
a very interesting piece of architecture I passed walking up to Harajuku, called First Gymnasium

No comments:

Post a Comment