A place to reflect, ramble, and rofl at adventures from my study abroad in Nihon...
Honestly, there could be shenanigans.

21.5.10

Tokyo Redux VII: Harajuku
Once More, With Feeling

I whiled away the evening hours getting to know Harajuku better. And since we'd already covered Omotesando the first time I visited, I started with Takeshita Dori, the other main street in the Harajuku area. Unfortunately, seeing as it wasn't Sunday, and it was getting dark, there were hardly any strange fashion statements hanging around the bridge by the station--just the normal fashion statements weaving from shop to shop.

I spent a good few hours perusing the veritable beehive that was Takeshita Dori's shops and stalls, picking through Engrish t-shirts, touristy items, floaty hippie chic skirts,
and ridiculously gothy clothing. I managed to find some amusing souvenirs for me family, as well as a souvenir charm for my bracelet. I'd been looking for something that struck me as very...Harajuku. Something trendy, gauche, and possibly gothy.
I think I managed to find just the thing: a small red plate inscribed with a kanji, and with a cheap rhinestone dangling above it. I didn't recognize the kanji, so I asked the lady standing next to me what it meant. After her initial pantomime explanation didn't translate very well, her maybe-seven-year-old daughter whipped out her keitai like a pro and used the dictionary. And then I completely understood why the pantomime was rather insufficient. "Kizuna" means "bonds." Try getting that one in charades.
 
A  glaringly bright underwear shop
 
a Goth-Loli supplier


Eventually, I got bit peckish, so I stopped at one of the several crepe stands along the street. I think Harajuku must be known for all the crepe stands, because I remember also seeing these cheesy little crepe charms with little "Harajuku" tags where I bought my charm.
Kiwi and cream. Yummy.
Some very colorful graffiti reminiscent of John Lennon's drawings...
 
While some of my favorite clothing has come from Forever 21, Tokyo's Forever 21 is...much tackier and gaudier even than the some of the stuff I've seen in America's lately
 
What can I say? She wears taboo, apparently.
 
"OH SNAP!"
 
say the streets of Harajuku

No comments:

Post a Comment